6.07.2011

Susan is jealous of people who have book clubs. Not only is it a way to force yourself to read a book, it's also something to do once a month.

Susan wanted to start a book club and inquired of her little sister if she knew any smart readers.
No James Patterson types, no one under 40, no aggressive talkers and no one who lived too far away.

Susan's little sister claimed not to know anyone who fit that criteria. Furthermore, she declined membership for herself claiming that she had no time to read an entire book.

You can't read a book in a month? Susan asked in an agitated manner and ultimately hounded her little sister into an exasperated acceptance.

Next she texted a neighborhood girlfriend while she daydreamed about what cocktails and little foody things she would serve at book club.

No thanks, I don't care for book clubs was the texted response.

Susan was out of people to invite.

So, Susan is the President of her Tiny Book Club and her little sister is Seargant at Arms. They'll enthusiastically accept any recommendations for something to read.

9 comments:

Frugal Vegan Mom said...

I'm in a book club and love it, even though we get together infrequently... you should like, post an ad on craigslist for members, that might turn out interesting...

Books? I'm so bad at remembering. Three great ones in recent memory (all non-fiction)

The Woman Who Fell From The Sky: An American Journalist in Yemen by Jennifer Steil

Off The Grid by Nick Rosen

Nothing To Envy: Ordinary Lives In North Korea by Barbara Demick.

The Zadge said...

I'm in a book club. We pick a great restaurant in town, so no one has to provide food. We drink. We talk about books we'd like to read. No one has to read anything. It's the only book club I've been in (and I've been in 3) that work.

The Zadge said...

I mean "that work*s*". Perhaps if I laid off the booze and laid more on the books, I'd get my plurals correct in the comments.

ssmysterybookclub said...

The Tiny Book Club needs to read "Little Women". Bah!

Seriously, I run a mystery book club through our local library. We meet once a month and we would fit your criteria. Have you checked YOUR library?

Dawn in DC said...

I've never been in a book club, either. But that is mostly because I don't like the books they choose or the way they dissect them. Actually, that all falls on those particular ladies, not the books.

I read an average of a book a week. And they are all for pure entertainment. Murder stories, cop stories, the occasional ghost story, historical fiction, and a few non-fictions .

Where the Fur Flies said...

I'm a big reader too, but not really a book club type. I hate to be told that I need to read a specific book at a specific time... feels too much like homework.

I am, however, in a cooking club. We get together, we cook, we laugh, we eat. It seems to work better without the homework.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Sometimes our book club turns into wine club which isn't so bad! We manage to get the reading done!

Just Kids by Patti Smith
Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving

Cupcake Murphy said...

Please god read The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen or Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert Leleux.

Cupcake Murphy said...

or City Boy by Herman Wouk or The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion or Unless by Carol Shields or Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut or Dry by Augusten Burroughs.