12.17.2012

Susan protects herself when she has to. 
Generally it's in response to a heightened feeling of anxiety left behind by some ancient panic attacks. She'll stop reading the papers, limit her TV watching, avoid phone calls and withdraw till she feels better.

Periodically something happens in the world that's so awful she has to shut herself off from it. She won't be able to avoid it entirely, but she'll try. 

Like many people, Susan has to work to maintain her buoyant mental health, one way she does that it by not taking her brain where it doesn't want to go. She's pretty firm about that.

She'll be skipping the newspapers this week.

8 comments:

The Zadge said...

F#%K you Anonymous. This is no time for low-life spammers. And what Twisty Sue says - no news this week.

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Susan makes me feel so much better. I am not alone. I understand how she feels. I do not like to face the bad things head on like some people suggest. Now if my husband just understood and would turn off the morning and evening news coverage for just a bit. Where are my headphones?

Cupcake Murphy said...

Susan is wise.

Frugal Vegan Mom said...

I have a self destructive streak and have been reading the news, and crying a lot. Maybe I'll take some advice from Susan and just go keep teaching my toddler how to sing jingle bells instead.

MJ Ferg said...

I tried not to listen, but I cant help it. I have cried at least twice a day since Friday. You have the right idea

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Susan, I'm right there in the cocoon with you. Peace out, sista.

The Empress said...

Yes: such care has to be taken. Or we fall into such despair and outrage and bottomless sadness for their little lives. Their families, that town, the wonder of WHY???

I'm with you. I can't and won't ignore--but I need to steel myself up for the next round of news media ammunition that will come our way soon, as this unfolds.

xo

Kathryn said...

I'm with you Big Sista, I'm enjoying these ignorance is bliss weeks.